Monday, April 9, 2007

The Host


My Dad and I went to see The Host here in Calgary tonight. Apparently, it is the highest-grossing film in South korean history by an absolute landslide. It was pretty cool - very suspenseful and fun. Beyond the movie though (and if you want to read my review of it, you can at www.thatmoviesite.com) it was neat to sit in a theatre with my Dad and watch a movie filmed in the city I will be living in within the next 5 months. Of course, we didn't get to see too much of the city beyond certain darker areas as the action mainly took place along the Han River and in the sewer systems.
Thanks, Dad, for the popcorn, and don't worry - when I'm in Seoul, I won't throw any pop cans at any weird giant tadpole-looking monsters if they swan-dive off a bridge and start swimming towards me.

2 comments:

이안 said...

i'm gonna be honest with you... didn't like it a bit... found it painful to sit through, and i saw it in korea, the day it came out... give or take... prior to it's release people kept telling me it was the most famous korean movie ever, and how great it was. i was also in a foul mood... which might explain it... but for real, it sucked.. oh yeah, and no subtitles.. my korean is coming along, but perhaps it's not that good. although i don't think there was much subtlety to miss.. and for real the first scene with the evil american army doctor dude... so bad.. i don't think they actually meant it to be funny, it just came off that way. i base that on the fact that every scene i've ever...seen with a 'foreigner' is almost exactly the same... and come on fella, the jacket's nice and all, but post something new.. i'm sick of looking at that shit.

George Bailey Sees The World! said...

Wow! You're not the first person who's told me how much they didn't like The Host. I didn't like it quite as much as I thought I would, but it was still interesting and worth seeing. It's also interesting to me how most Western reviewers think it's one of the best of the year. I'm kind of somewhere in the middle.
My lady and I are applying for jobs at the end of this week so I will have something new to post very soon - I'm trying to keep this blog as Korea-related news only, so until there's news, the blue coat is all you get ;)