Friday, July 13, 2007

Bad things come in....threes?

6 Years ago I broke my ankle playing soccer - 1 week before a trip to Florida. Running through Toronto International airport on crutches with mucho baggage was a bit of a pain in the ass.

So now, 5-ish weeks before I head off to Korea, I break my ankle in the same spot, just by stepping on an uneven piece of grass or dirt on one of the many shabby fields we get to play on with the Calgary United Soccer Association. I wish I could say that it was a vicious tackle, but no - it was bad balance more than anything else.

For those that are curious, a ligament that attaches a leg bone to a foot bone (that's as technical as I get) snapped, pulling a chunk of bone off of my foot bone. So, the effect is that this ligament is floating around somewhere in my swollen ankle like a baited hook, looking for a place to re-attach. Let's hope it finds the right spot, I guess. When it happened it sounded like a Christmas cracker. Only there wasn't a cool toy for me to play with, or a bad joke for me to read aloud.

Just to add insult to injury, one day later I come down with a feverish cold that hits me like a truck. After a visit to the clinic today, I discover that I likely have strep throat and am on antibiotics for 10 days.

So, aircast for three weeks at such a time I will be re x-rayed. Hopefully it heals better than last time (it took me a year and a half before I could play soccer again). I guess it's time to invest in a proper ankle brace once more.

Thank God for families that live close by where I can get a good home-cooked meal and some pampering - including a little bit of baby therapy watching my little nephews play in the pool. And thank God for my lady who will make me soup and take care of me while I roll around like an infant, whining and bawling :)

In Korea news, Steph and I have recieved our Visa Issuance numbers from our employer in Suwon and the next step is to send some goodies to the Korean Consulate in Vancouver. They will then send us our passport back, stamped with our Korean Visa. We then have to wait for our actual ticket to Korea and we'll be good to go. I wish I had access to some ancient Korean healing herbs.

No comments: