Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Little Store and a Huge Nerd


I know that most people will stop reading this after the second sentence, but I’m okay with that. I bought my first video game here in Korea a couple of weeks ago and I thought I would blog about it.

…still there? Good. So yeah, it’s been a long time since my last post – mainly because I had hit that part of the month when essay marking and report card writing takes precedence over everything else in my life, including eating and sleeping properly. So blogging had to take a back seat to the bare necessities. Plus, my last topic seemed to have generated some heat so I thought I’d take the opportunity on a Sunday night to showcase my nerdish self, and to promote a local business as promised.

I haven’t owned a game system since the good ol’ Nintendo 64 and to tell you the truth, I had missed geeking it up on that, or previous systems with my friends back in the day. So, with my Korea trip on the horizon a few months back, I decided to pick-up a Nintendo DS – a cool little hand-held system that has a very fun, unique and interactive game library to choose from. I picked-up a couple of games for it before I left and in Calgary it was a fun little pick-me-up before bed or just nerding-out on a Sunday afternoon. The coolest feature is the wireless capability of the thing which allows you to play against people from all over the world – via the internet. There’s nothing quite like racing in Mario Kart against some kid in another country, who is likely 6 years-old and kicking my ass soundly.

Here in Korea, I have whipped-out the DS on the subway a few times without shame – since it is a normal occurrence to find couples not only wearing the same clothes, but also sitting close together in subways or a coffee shop, playing their matching pink DSs. It’s all good.

Imagine my chagrin however when the most anticipated game of the year, save for maybe Halo 3, was coming out on the DS this October and I would have no way to get the game in English. A true tragedy in the making.



But fear not, fair readers – Steph found a fine little establishment down a side-street here in Youngtong where we live called “Hyperbook”. It appears to be owned and operated by one of the nicest men I’ve met so far here in Korea. The store deals in portable video games and DVDs mostly, as well as random stuff from various anime films and tv shows. A true mini nerd Mecca. I asked if the guy would be able to order me a copy of the game I was wanting in English, and sure enough, he texted me the next day to let me know he could.

The game was here three days later and I’ve been a satiated nerd since. The game is “The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass” and it’s a pretty damn cool little game, for those that are interested in that sort of thing. For Steph – not so much. But that’s okay, I can disappear into my own little world of Hyrule for a few minutes here an there and I can bask in the glory of a pretty great little game. Steph can visit Hyperbook whenever she's in the mood for a new Peek-a-Pooh. Just ask Steph what those are...

For anyone who is reading this blog and is interested in getting English Language games for their DS or PSP while in Korea, feel free to drop me a line and I’ll pass on the phone number of Hyperbook to you. I’m sure he’d appreciate your business and he might even throw in a free “Eagles Live” DVD as he did for me.



I plan on picking-up the DS version of the Korean / English touch-screen dictionary next month. It works like a charm and it’ll be about and eighth the cost of the other electronic dictionaries I’ve seen here.

So, head to Hyperbook and satisfy your inner (or outer) nerd. I’ll be reminiscing of hanging-out with Shaners, finding the master sword and kicking some Ganon heinie!
It’s true – I still have a girlfriend.

1 comment:

Poorlittlelamb said...

It was actually my keen eye that noticed the store after our gelatto date and luckily Steph wasn't against seeing what was inside. hahaha. We stumbled across a gem, I guess :) Glad to hear you're getting so much enjoyment out of it!

The coolest part about it, (for me) is that it's one of my student's father's store. She talks about him and his store all the time.