Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Eve

It's here already in Korea - 2:24 am exactly as I write this. I really wish that I didn't have to be at school today, but I do. Shabby. I'm going to cross my fingers that they let me out early, but they may dock me half a day's wages for picking a man's pocket every 24th of December - that's a little Christmas Carol humour for ya...

Well, Christmas Eve is here. I am ready for it, though I wish that I had a few more days to enjoy the anticipation. Isn't that always the way.

I've done pretty well though. I've enjoyed the city - it's pretty at this time of year. Lights everywhere and carols too - though I could do without the Korean love for Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You." It plays on repeat in some places.

I've also been lucky enough to take my old student from last year to one of my favourite Korean destinations: Everland - even more cool at Christmas time. Pig and I rode the T-Express and I took in the Christmas fireworks with old and new friends. My Korean sister joined us too. I also got to meet Pig's family which was very special. My favourite student in one of my favourite places with some of my favourite people at my favourite time of year. I liked it.

And tonight, I am going to bed far too late because I decided to take the time to skype my sister and her family. She finally got the webcam working on the laptop, which meant a view of the Christmas house - with the Christmas dog and two excited Christmas tots opening their presents from Uncle Dave. The Peppero box was a huge hit - good luck on keeping them from eating all of it before Boxing Day, Sandy and Jay.

Just a good night - and all this after sharing It's Wonderful Life in Korean subtitles with someone who was watching Mr. Potter scheme and George and Mary overcome for the first time. I guess Christmas away from home can still be special if you let it. It's a tough trade though. I miss you guys. Merry Christmas. I wish I could be there for real hugs and real snow. Roger Whittaker and a good imagination will just have to do.

2 comments:

Chris Taylor said...

Merry Christmas, Dave!

Jen and I miss you. All the best on Christmas and New Years!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!