Monday, April 26, 2010

Adventures at a Korean Dermatology Clinic!


I have a small rash in the middle of my back. I'm not really worried about it, but it's been there for a while, it's about the size of a quarter, and it's starting to piss me off.

One of the fun things about living and working in a foreign country, is that chances are, you will need a translator whenever you need to attempt something that back home would otherwise be a personal solo project - such as investigating rashes.

Instead, I get to ask my co-teacher, who in turn decides to tell the rest of the teachers in our office why I'm going to the doctor. It's not that I'm embarrassed about having a rash, though the potential for misguided assumptions is high in this place. My co-teacher mimed something to the others about me having a rash (apparently the same word in Korean - perhaps Konglish) and I was met with sour faces and nods.

Yes, people, I am the scourge.

So, I go the the dermatologist. And this is the converstaion...

Dermatologist: Let me see your rash.
Me: (Lifting-up my shirt) It's here, but it's been here for about a month.
Dermatologist: Do you shower?
Me: Excuse me?
Dermatologist: Do you shower?
Me: Yes.
Dermatologist: You need to shower.
Me: Ummmm...
Dermatologist: You need to get the sweat off your body.
Me:...
Dermatologist: Don't use body wash. Use soap.
Me: Okay.
Dermatologist: I will give you steroid cream. Apply twice a day.
Me: Awesome.

So, now that I've been introduced to the concept of "showering" when I sweat, and I've been handed a tube of "steroid cream", I expect to not only be clean and fresh, but I also expect to improve my batting average. The visit cost me (including steroids) a total of under 5,000 won ($5.00), and it took about 5 minutes to be in and out.

I guess I'll have to go with the recommended medication. I won't be going to Thailand anytime soon, where I could have used Andrew's tried and true method of tropical sun-burning and peeling off back fungi. Rash, be gone!

3 comments:

Andrew said...

That was a secret Dave! Jesus, why don't you make a powerpoint and show it to your students?

Andrew said...

seriously though, what you really need to try first is yiannis putting the medicine on your back with plastic grocery bag gloves.

Mr. Genius-Face said...

Dude, I feel your pain. But I would look into that steroid cream before you make any rash decisions! Hey-oh!