Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Happy Black Day

Today is Black Day in Korea. It is not a day to mark any kind of national mourning for soldiers lost or anything of that regard, it is simply the 3rd in a line of love themed holidays in this country.

February 14th is Valentines Day (when the women give something special to the men in their lives), March 14th is “White Day”, where the men return the favour to their women (traditionally tripling the amount of bon-bons given to the men a month previous), and today is “Black Day” – where single Koreans traditionally eat noodles in black oyster sauce to mourn (or celebrate) their singledom… or something like that.

To erase the teary memories of Black Days gone-by, the Rabbit and I decided to celebrate in our own way by heading to Buddha’s Belly – a Thai restaurant and lounge in Itaewon that I’ve heard a lot about but had never been to.

Not bad food, but while you’ll pay $2 for Pad Thai on Khaosan Road, you’ll pay $10.00 for the same thing here. Fair enough, I guess - $2 soju bottles do cost about $12 in Canada.

Still, it was worth it to mix it up a bit. I don’t like Itaewon for much besides soccer shoes in my size and for good international restaurants. We made a promise today to try a new ethnic restaurant every month if we can – gotta branch-out, even if it costs too much to eat this way often, and even if I don’t think I’ll ever tire of my 4 or 5 Korean staple foods. Bibimbap is still best.

Happy Black Day, ya’ll. Enjoy the darker things today.

I leave you with a photo of the Rabbit trying to decipher a postcard I got from Douglas on Monday. Douglas is currently in Germany, I believe, and arrived there via Moscow after taking the Trans-Siberian Railroad from Beijing. The postcard itself is from Moscow and features a woman on her bed, surrounded by rising water and rats. It’s quite possible that Douglas painted this one himself.

2 comments:

Mr. Genius-Face said...

Douglas! I hope he someday writes a book called "Postcards from the 13th Floor."

Hey, I'd read it!

George Bailey Sees The World! said...

I've already pre-ordered mine form Amazon.