Monday, April 5, 2010

My guitar.


All right – it’s late again, so it’s not likely I’ll get around to updating as much as I would like to be able to today. I’ll just have to save some for later.

Tonight, I’ll write about my guitar. That’s right – my guitar! Seong-Suk bought me a guitar for my birthday this past January and it arrived as my very first musical instrument – unless you count the mini pan-flute I got as a reminder of Seong-Suk’s concert, or the tin whistle my parents bought me as a stocking stuffer a few Christmases ago.

The thing is though – I’m old, and if my slowness in learning the Korean language is any indication, I will be in my mid-fifties before I can confidently accompany myself or anyone else for the simplest of songs. Let's just say that right now, I suck.

I’m pretty stoked to have a guitar in my house though. I pick it up every night, and even if it’s just a case right now of me picking-it up to practice some chords for 30 minutes before I go to bed, I like the fact that my fingertips are getting calluses and that my muscle memory is starting to kick-in. I even nearly "played it 'til my fingers bled" one night. Not really, but there must have been some microscopic scratches or cracks because after slicing a bag of extremely hot Korean peppers, I had to ice my finger tips for nearly 2 hours while watching a movie. It was like my fingers were eyeballs - they just sucked-up the pepper juice and each digit seemed to have its own independent pulse.

It’s a good thing that my friend, Ed knows how to play – without someone here to help me through the basics, I wouldn’t know where to begin – books are great for concepts, but it takes looking at someone else playing to really understand what to do. I am sure to terrorize Ian with my guitar at some point, if I can ever get up the nerve to take the thing on the subway. I don’t like the idea of posing as a musician quite yet.
For my first song, since Ed started playing it the last time he was here, I’ve chosen one of my sentimental favourites – “Closer to Fine” by the Indigo Girls. A great song, and kind of a tricky one to start out with, but I also learned to drive a car in the winter, so I’m sure that when I get around to it, “Wheat Kings” will seem rather easy by comparison. I’m also hopeful that in a few years “Closer to Fine” will seem like child’s play.

Anyway, as soon as I can actually play the thing the whole way though without having the song fall apart, I’ll let you know. Until then, I keep digging away at that d-chord madness in each verse.

No comments: