Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I like sports, and I don't care who knows!



It looks like the Sindobong Middle School 2010 NHL Stanley Cup Pizza Playoffs is about to draw to a close, and it's been an exciting process. I do realize that trying to get my Korean grade 9 students to invest in Ice Hockey was a bit of a stretch, and really more for my own entertainment than theirs, but it's actually been a lot of fun.

All grade 9 homerooms chose a playoff team to follow, and the class whose team gets the cup, gets pizza during our last class together this semester. It's down to class 3 (Chicago) and class 10 (Philadelphia), and it's been grand. Each day as students enter my class, I play big screen highlight from NHL.com, and I've been encouraging students to check the website and follow their teams. Even in round one, I was pleasantly surprised to have students come up to me in the hallway and say things like: "Teacher! last night, Bancouber is win!" Thankfully, I didn't have to hear THOSE exact words beyond the second round, but it was very cool to have students checking the playoff bracket outside of my room every day and trash-talking each other on game-day.

Hoping for the Blackhawks in 7 - just 'cause I want them to do it at home, though a victory in Philadelphia would be equally cool.

In other sporting news, the FIFA World Cup gets underway in just a couple of days. This will be the first time I will be living in a participating country, and of course, Korea is mad for soccer. They actually have a pretty decent chance in their group - quite a few writers predicting them to finish just behind Argentina in their group. Regardless, I plan on entering a truly overwhelming Sea of Red at the front lawn of Seoul City Hall on game a day a couple of times to watch the Korean Red Devils do their best.

Perhaps because of my last name, perhaps because I appreciate Zidane's honour even in the face of a disgraced finals loss in '06, and because I love Henry despite a hand-ball, I will be cheering for France first, followed by Korea, and then leaving a little room in my heart for England, and then whatever team forms a compelling story.

May the best team win, and may that team not be Italy.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

1) USA
2) Italy
3) Korea
4) France (if only for B's love of Thierry)
.
.
.
.
.
32) England

Mr. Genius-Face said...

I bought a Totti soccer jersey when I was in Italy several years ago. You know, the player who faked an injury and got a red card?

Well, this woman came up to me and insisted the following words over and over again: "No! No Totti! No!"

This woman was a Nun.
And she was very old.

Go cheaters!