Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bang


I'm functioning at a very low-level since returning to Seoul from Canada this past Sunday night. Jet-lag has gotten the best of me, I'm afraid. I'm all blank stares and inexplicable word choices so far.

I suppose this is all the result of rushing into my summer camp, running that for 6 days a week, heading to Canada the next day, and then teaching the day after I return to Korea. My body is saying no - as did the subway door this evening after Korean class. While walking to another car (likely due to the fact that I was wearing my baseball hat and couldn't see what was slightly above my apologetic tall-person's line of vision), I rammed my head into the door frame so hard that I knocked myself right onto my ass in the middle of a crowded subway. I was so tired that I started laughing, picked myself up and kept going.

Got a sizable bump on my head now. Oh, well.

Anyway, gotta get to sleep. There's work to be done.

Oh, and I got engaged, which is certainly the biggest and best news to come out of my trip home, and it's obvious news to most people who will ever read this blog, as those people are the ones I mostly saw this past visit.

I've kind of made it a policy for myself to not comment on relationships through this medium. I've been public enough about the engagement through facebook, and while it might be easy for others (and me) to be critical about that choice in theory, in practice, it's kind of different. Heck - I'm all happy and stuff and kind of want to tell the world, so I told my little corner of it.

In short - taking my lady home to Canada for the first time was a lovely time, and through it, I confirmed the fact that I've found someone who, quite simply, makes me happy, and whom I want to make equally happy in return. I'm constantly amazed and grateful for the way this person sees the world, and changes the world around her in unquantifiable ways. And I know how fortunate I am that someone so kind and so real is willing to be with a schmuck like me. To quote an oft-quoted favourite: "when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." Can't think of a better reason.

And so there it is - likely not going to say much else about it here - outside of the odd comment here and there about the process of planning such a merger in Korea. That might be of some interest to those back home, or those planning something similar.

Anyway, it's going to be an interesting year. I'm going to need some sleep right now if I have any hope of getting ahead of all that's on its way. Staring now.

3 comments:

Dana said...

CONGRATULATIONS DAVE!! That's wonderful news indeed :-) One of these days, I'd really like to catch up - and eventually even meet your fiance. Until then, take care, travel well, and keep blogging!

Jen Davies, MA, CDP said...

Please give lots of notice to friends and family who may want to try to scrape together the funds to attend such a 'merger' in Korea...

Andy Irwin said...

Double congratulations. You get one on facebook and you get one here and you're getting a BIG FRIGGIN ULTIMATE CONGRATULATIONS when I see you both in person next!