Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Every creation myth needs a devil."


Saw The Social Network tonight (some films are released later here) with my rabbit - she's a sweetheart, so she arranged the tickets for us for opening night, and made sure to get the back row aisle seats - just in case I happened to be on my bike.

I actually decided to go sans bike today. Getting over a cold, or still getting into it, it's hard to tell. I was glad to have the day off today. It's the Korean equivalent of S.A.T. day, which means that all schools get the day off. The country is kind of in lock-down mode while university hopefuls write the exams that could to a good point determine the level of success they will have in the rest of their lives. The suicide rate in the next week, if it's actually published, will tell you how much of a good or bad thing that is.

Anyway, with my day off, I decided against biking across the city again. Sleeping in, relaxing, reading, and getting some things done for my Saturday class made a lot more sense when I was fighting a cold anyway. Glad I stayed home.

But, went to the movie tonight. I remember showing the rabbit the trailer a couple of months ago, and then wondering if it would be coming to Korea. Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin is famous for fast over-lapping dialogue that he began in the stage version of A Few Good Men, and then later perfected on big screen (The American President) and the small screen (The West Wing). I wondered if it would be possible to truly follow his nuances through rapidly-displayed subtitles with characters that speak in fast forward and interrupt each other at every possible moment. The rabbit report: it's a challenge.

I do believe I'll try to write a proper review for That Movie Site if time presents itself, but for now, I'm pleased to report that hearing Sorkin's words again on the big screen was a thrill. So many good moments, though I was left wanting more of the "Sam Seaborn recommending to buy better boats" brand of satisfaction. Different stories, I know, but when Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg climbs the steps of a high rise office building in San Francisco in slippers, pajamas, and a house coat, with the expressed purpose of delivering a literal "%$#@ you!" from Napster's Sean Parker to a past wrong-doer, you kind of want to see it occur on-screen.

Anyway, excellent film. In the end, a portrait of a lonely guy clicking "refresh", in the hopes that someone back there will accept a long overdue apology. This has a lot more in common with In the Company of Men than any other film I can think of.

On a personal note, I did react to the film with a little baggage of my own. I've had friendships fade through the years as we all have, but I have had 4 friendships end - just stop, cold. All 4 were a result of creative business partnerships gone awry. Right in my eyes, and wrong in the eyes of the 4 now gone, I could palpably identify with Eduardo Saverin's rage upon the discovery that he'd been circumvented by Zuckerberg and Parker. Creative partnerships have the power to create a rare paranoia, and they can create a mess.

A well-told story. People can be assholes.

1 comment:

Douglas said...

You're definitely right about the fact that baggage does make films that much greater. You're able to understand actions of some characters much better by having been in similar situations. This includes anything as random from being scammed in China to to being faced with a monumental decision on whether to betray a friend or not for the moral decision. However, a Love Triangle is not something I'm in any rush to experience just so I can better relate to a thousand Hollywood love stories :P