Thursday, November 4, 2010

Gosh Golly...

I've reached my essay-marking limit for tonight, which means I'll have an unfortunate amount to do tomorrow - somewhere between my lesson-planning for my Saturday class. Dang. But, there's no sense in trying to force another edit now - I'm really trying to be thoughtful and thorough with each one and my students are really responding to it. The last thing I want to do is have my comments turn into late night ramblings.

I'm at the point where if I stare at this screen for 5 more minutes, I might vomit. It's a feeling not unlike the after-effect of spending all day and night at a film festival with nothing but popcorn and lemon pepper seasoning as sustenance. It doesn't end well.

So - good night.

3 comments:

Douglas said...

Is it possible to have them printed out? It'd be a change of medium at least.

George Bailey Sees The World! said...

They are printed-out when I get them. Problem is, I mark the hell out of the paper version for spelling and grammar, then I write a one-page critique commenting on each paragraph. They are still learning to build proper paragraphs and still working on uderstanding a 5-paragraph format.

The positives are that I'm getting paid for the marking this time and with all of the makring that I'm doing - approximately 80 essays by the time it's all said and done and each essay takes roughly and hour to mark, I'll be 80 hours in the hole in terms of lost free time, but I'll have my Thailand ticket more than paid for, so that's nice.

I'm also enjoying getting into the essays. It's do nice to know what my students are thinking about these issues.

The problem with the 20 essays marked in this way is the quick turn-around time. I need to get them back to students in a week so that they can use the comments to build on their their next essays. The thing is, they are actually doing this. It's so refreshing to have students who crave feedback and put it to use.

So, I don't mind the time, but I'm glad this is a temporary set-up and I only have two more sets to mark after this. Late at night, after staring at a compuer for so bloody long, I need to say what a friend said to me way back in high school days while our eye sight went from playing Cool-Spot on the Super Nintendo long into the night: "Pass the bananas - I need to replensih my potasium!"

Mr. Genius-Face said...

Dave said:
"time and with all of the makring that I'm doing...

"It's do nice to know what my students...

...to replensih my potasium!"

GET SOME SLEEP!