Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Toe Up-date


Though you demanded it on facebook, I will spare my friends' news-feeds from the carnage and instead post a photo update here. I'm really wondering at this point what all the "freezing", stitching, and bandaging was for.

As you can see, this is what my toenail looked like when the injury occurred (minus all of the blood and pain). Now, with camera in-hand, I can get a decent macro-shot of the site in all of its glory. Of course, now it's just kind of white (yellow?) and hanging-on for dear life-in-death. Yesterday, as I was marking essays at my desk, my left foot casually brushed-back against my right and I felt the oddest sensation - something certainly wrong, but lacking the normally-accompanying pain. Anyway, my toe basically looked like this.

Recently, I rather hurriedly and unsuccessfully compared it to a plastic cell-phone cover - something you can snap on and off, though it seems to be still (technically) attached somewhere near the base. It would be more accurate to say that it's like inserting and a removing a camera battery into and from its concave charger bed - snap in, snap out! The old girl still fits like a glove - you just need to let the side wings find their comfy fold to slip back into. Tuck them in for the night.

Not sure what's next for this increasingly dry and yellowing relic. I am a tad concerned though, as I have heard that with big toe nails, there is more of a chance of developing some horrific in-grown action with such injuries. I'm really hoping that's not the case. Stay tuned to the on-going toe saga, as you have to admit, it's really more dramatically fulfilling than most prime time TV.

1 comment:

Douglas said...

Thanks for the update! I'm sure it'll grow back alright. It'll just take 6 months or so for it to fully come back. Needless to say, I wouldn't go back to the same doctor.