Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas in Sanbon


The rabbit and I made our way to dear friends' house yesterday for some afternoon Christmas cheer, and lovely meal. It was also my chance to get re-acquainted with the sprightly new persona of young Ms. Lyndsay, who is all about opening her eyes and smiling and giggling like a wee Christmas elf.

Conor, too, seemed very pleased to have house guests at this time of year. It's great knowing that though they are a substantial subway ride away, I've got friends here, and I fee fortunate to witness and sometimes share in the joys of their growing family. Of course it's hard to be away from "home" at Christmas, but this makes it all a little easier to take.

The rabbit and I were also happy to give the gift of reading to all but young Ms. Lyndsay - Ian and Bonnie will be introduced to Mr. Potter, each in their native tongue, and the young Mr. Conor will give Jerry Pinkney's The Lion and the Mouse a read. I'm excited to hear what he makes of all of the vivid expressions in the book.

For my part, I got my first Ba-duk set - the black and white checkers-like board game known as "Go" in Japan and the Western World. Of course, it's much more complex than checkers - and like most other obsessions in Korea, there are hagwons (academies) available to learn more about the game, as well as gaming TV stations where one can presumably learn strategies and observe the masters at work. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Anyway, it's not the last few days before Christmas and there be lots of errands to run. I wish I had another week. Isn't that always the way...

No comments: