Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve

Well... 2011 has arrived.

I've got to say, I've never been a big fan of New Year's Eve. I can't honestly say what my ideal New Year's Eve would be, but it would likely involve some combination of the following: dinner, drinks, a movie, a dinner party at someone's house, or a quiet night at home with a special someone.

I have also enjoyed big nights out with friends, but those have been rare. I suppose I have the same problem with New Year's Eve that most people have: big expectations, and comparatively little pay-off. Hell - even if the expectations are minuscule, there is still comparatively little pay-off.

Anyway, it would have been lovely to have hung-out with my friends at home tonight - for a couple of reasons:

1) In recent years, I have found New Year's Eve to be more of a thoughtful time for me. Auld Lang Syne makes me satisfyingly sad, and gives me pause as I reflect on the past year and look to what the next year will bring. Honestly, I would rather a quiet New Years than another attempt to party like it's 1999. It's an artificial construction anyway, but if I'm going to mark it, I prefer to do so with subtlety. That's just me, and I realize that I am very much in the minority on this one.

2) I'm not on Spring Break. I just don't chase tail anymore, and since I've removed myself from the celebrated game, it's sometimes a challenge to be around those of a certain age who very clearly are an integral part of it. As I (briefly) walk the streets of popular University club districts such as Hongdae on New Year's Eve, I see people who have either adopted a healthy (and necessary) sense of irony, or who are looking for an experience that I stopped looking for sometime ago. Not saying that drinking for fun in public is something I don't enjoy from time to time, just trying to find a not-too-self-deprecating way of saying that such evenings make me feel old, and looking at the alternative, I don't really miss being young.

New Year's Day, on the other hand, is something I don't ever remember not enjoying.

Sincerely, Grandpa Dave

No comments: