Monday, January 17, 2011

Goutpia!



Well, I went for blood tests today - and I'll get the results two days later. By the way, today's my birthday! So far, I celebrated by teaching day 1 of the last week of Winter Camp, and by getting syringes put into my arm and then a cast applied to my left ankle. To tell you the truth, I'm looking forward to the test results, just so that my leg can stop swelling-up. I honestly look as though I have the left lower leg of an obese person. It's all a little bit grotesque. I've taken photos, but I much prefer these Struwwelpeter-esque renderings of Gout personified by demons of varying size. The above one is a visualization of how I might have contracted the condition had I been a chubby, alcoholic, 5-string cellist in the early 1800s who never left his house.

This coming weekend, my lovely rabbit, who has been so kind to me, and whom I would be in much trouble without, will kindly be taking me to a mountain resort called "Waterpia" which is supposed to have healing mineral waters, hopefully from a source other than what the name would suggest. In fact, the "(Uto)pia" suffix is a very common one here in Korea - much like "story". For example, if you want to get your nails done right, you can often find a shop named either "Nail Story", or "Nail Pia". The same goes for pretty much everything else: a music shop -"Musicpia!" A pet shop - "Petpia!" I don't know why they didn't just call it "Watertopia!" Shortening the suggestion makes me think of urine. It can't be helped.

2 comments:

Jen Davies, MA, CDP said...

So sorry that you're ill on your birthday! Hope it's a good one anyway.

Be careful, you're forgetting your English grammar - "I'll get the results two days later" is very Korean. ;)

George Bailey Sees The World! said...

Well... dammit!