Wednesday, March 2, 2011

First Day Back


Headed back to school today for the first time this semester. I don't start teaching until next week, and I'm sure there will be a fair amount of time to post about the specifics in the coming weeks.

For now, I wanted to say that I was sad today. There are many good teachers leaving our school (about 20 or so, it seems) and I feel sad to be saying what is a virtually a good bye to many people I considered friends here. There are some I will keep in touch with, and others that I simply won't - save for the traditional March march to their new schools to deliver treats to their new office partners and to say good luck in the new digs.

This morning was for the grade 2s and 3s to gather with their old teachers, and this afternoon was all about the new grade 1s - sheepishly appearing with their parents and finding their homerooms. Tomorrow, there will be a grand ceremony in the schoolyard where the old students and the new will face-off in some sort of battle for the ages - or just welcome each other and say hello.

Until then, I am officially switching gears into positive mode - friends are leaving, but new energy is arriving. That's good, too.

No comments: