Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Sincerely, Lego"


I'm doing a pen pal program with some of my higher level students - exchanging letters with some Canadian teens back in my hometown of Calgary, Canada this Spring. One of my most enthusiastic and energetic students took the English name "Lego". He's a great kid, though apparently lonely.

Lego writes...

"Hi~ How are you? Nowadays I'm always happy because of this pen pal letter. I'm so excited. I don't know you, but I want to know if you are a pretty girl. Your country and my country are different. So, you can think I'm ugly. Most Koreans have small eyes. But I have very big eyes. So, my friends always say "you have very big eyes!!!" When I listen that, I'm very happy because most Koreans think that girls and boys who have big eyes are pretty and handsome.

Oh, sorry... I should stop talking about my face. I have a lot of questions. How old are you? I'm 16 years old in Korean age and I'm 14 years old in Canadian age. In Korea, when we are born, we are already one year old, and we all turn another year older on New Year's Day. How many members are there in your family? My family members are my mother, father, and me. My parents are very kind, but when I make a mistake, they are evil. I'm so afraid. My older sister is so kind. My sister buys a lot of things for me. Recently, I got an ipod nano. So, I'm happy.

Finally, what is your favourite traditional food? If you tell me about your favourite traditional Canadian food, I'll try that food. I worried about this letter because I thought I couldn't write this letter. But I wrote a long letter, so I'm happy. I will expect your letter soon. Have a good time! Bye~

Sincerely,

Lego"

2 comments:

Tuttle said...

Wait, his family is "my mother, father, and me." Then, "My older sister is so kind."

Can you by any chance edit these before they go out?

I would love to do pen pals but this kind of thing makes our little boys and girls think "derangement". Remember, many of them are totally unclear on the distinction between North and South Korea.

On my vaca in Thailand, I had globe-trotting Europeans and Americans ask me if I was teaching in North Korea or South. Ferchrissakes!

George Bailey Sees The World! said...

No worries - I'm editing them all before they go out. Lego is a good guy, just a little awkward when it comes to the prospect of potentially meeting a beautiful blond Canadian girl.

I will have final veto power on the letters as I'm collecting them unsealed before they go out.