Monday, May 16, 2011

The best Tuesday I'm likely to have for a long time


Tomorrow morning, the entire school populations is heading out to various parks around the city to participate in a yearly "writing exercise". I can't really tell you what's involved from the student's perspective, other than to say that by the end of the day, they have probably spent 45 minutes on writing and about 5 hours on having fun in the park - as it should be, I say. Such opportunities are rare.

For my part, I was able to convince The Authority that it would be a good idea to take advantage of the "free" day by heading to nearby "Seoul Dream Forest" and scouting the area as a potential summer camp field trip destination. This means I get to jump on my bike in the AM, report to school at 8:30, and then I'm free to explore the park (only 3 subway stops away), take photos, and get one of my 5 day camp plans mostly taken care of. Best of all, I'll get to spend a work day on my bike.

This will be valuable as previous field trip destinations (Olympic Park, COEX Mall) have been simply too damn far away.

Tomorrow night, the rabbit and I are heading to the Sejeong Arts Center to see Ennio Morricone conduct the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra. This will be my second time seeing the Italian master at work, and rabbit's first. I feel like I've been wanting to take her to this concert for years. Anytime you get to hear Morricone's music live AND conducted my Morricone, himself, take it.

I'm also looking forward to having tomorrow night's concert erase the memory of seeing "The Mission Musical" in the same venue a couple of months before. The rabbit shares this sentiment.

2 comments:

Tuttle said...

"Try to make this quick"--really?

I think you made some very valid points, they do sell beer on the platform; furthermore, I've never seen signage suggesting it was not okay to drink that beer in the subway, but I've seen lots of signage about how to stand on the escalator, where to walk in the hallway, stc, so they could have such signage if they wanted.

Singing Christmas carols seems valid to be, assuming it was the holiday season.

But sitting in the floor (and impeding safe passage through the car) seems un-okay. Besides, these guys couldn't wait ten minutes to get where they were going before pulling out all that card paraphernalia? Come on, how about a little delayed gratification?

I don't think there was a crime here, except maybe the guy calling emergency when there was none, but still kind of asshat all round.

George Bailey Sees The World! said...

Hey, man - you posted this in the wrong place...

I do agree that what they did was "un-okay", but I think there was a massive overreaction to it.