Monday, May 30, 2011

Fake Plastic Trees

Finishing the weekend round-up (for about 3 days, I wasn't able to access my blog at home), I'll make a brief mention of a certain street near Apgujeong.

Garosugil street (the "tree-lined street") in Sinsa-dong is a four or five block stretch of higher end shops and cafes. As Sinsa-song is one of the richer south of the river areas of Seoul, it's the kind of place frequented by the rich and cosmetically appealing - defined as being rich enough to afford multiple plastic surgeries, slowly drive their Porsches or Jaguars through a crowded pedestrian mall, and/or display their infant children who are dressed in tiny clothes expensive enough to make you or I forgo food for the month - and cosmetically appealing enough to attract husbands who can afford Porsches or Jaguars and Ralph Lauren for the kids. There seemed to be not one lady on that street who hadn't paid a great deal of money, time, effort, and probably pain to make their outward appearance as impressive (and unwittingly artificial) as humanly and scientifically possible.

Bless the rabbit for having coupons and taking me to a place she remembered as being a bit different in her university years. But, there we were on a Sunday afternoon - the rabbit in her comfortable running shoes and I in my shorts and with backpack, and we couldn't have felt more out of place or uncomfortable.

I'll just leave it at this: Apgujeong/Sinsa area isn't for me. It's not for the rabbit either. We enjoyed our coffee, egg-rolls, and waffles at a couple of places before making our way toward Jongno and Cheonggyecheon for a nice evening stroll down the stream - ending up at a free outdoor concert. Lots of families, and lots of people being themselves.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to return to the tree-lined street of Sinsa-dong anytime soon. For my time and money, Samcheong-dong is the dong of choice when one seeks unique cafes with earned character.

Should you consider visiting Sinsa-dong next weekend, first consider visiting id Hospital. This girl did, and she couldn't be happier...

No comments: