Sunday, June 12, 2011

Friday Night Putt-Putt


My Friday sucked.

If your Friday sucks, too - then you could do worse than having a rabbit whose coupon-seeking abilities are not limited to eateries. Coupon night cheers me up a great deal.

This past Friday, we headed up to the rooftop of Youngsan Station to play both 18-hole courses of "Putt-Putt" - an aging, but charming miniature gold course.
The course, itself, is quite simple - most of the challenge coming from the varied concrete slants the runs are built upon. There aren't any windmills or pendulums to avoid, so the course will play pretty fast, and if it's just the two of you, you can easily whip through a course in about 20 minutes.

I'm not sure how long Putt-Putt has been around or is going to be around, but I'm glad we were there before it disappears. For the three hours we spent there, we saw only 3 other pairs playing the course, so we were essentially alone save for the weathered animal statues that may have been salvaged from Dreamland around the time of its closing.

Truth is, I love places like this. There is much new stuff in Seoul and I'm more than happy to patronize a place that is so clearly past its hay day. Best thing about Putt-Putt is its "Deokbokki Buffet" in the "club-house" - pay for your putters, and they hand over a greased pan for you to fill with various deok-bokki ingredients and heat-up on a table-top portable range. What's not to like?

All in all - a good night. We each hit a couple of hole-in-ones and I almost stayed under par on the back 18 until I ran into a stubborn hole on an incline. It was the rabbit's first time golfing in any form and she did pretty well. Best part was that she beat me in a riveting 10-9 game of foosball. As a handicap, I had my midfielders inactive, and she took full advantage. Atta girl.


Any place can be elevated when filled with the right company.

No comments: