Monday, November 19, 2012

Dressed in holiday style


Last night the rabbit and I went to meet with the manager of the restaurant where we will be hosting our Korean wedding celebration - nearly a year after the actual official one in Canada. There will be stuff to write about as the wedding approaches, but for now, let me say that I'm happy to be having it on December 22 - the last Saturday before Christmas.


As I've written about extensively through this blog, Christmas in Korea is an interesting season. One thing the city knows how to do right though is the decor. Well, I suppose "right" a subjective thing, but since much of Seoul is big and flashy anyway, I expect their version of holiday decor to follow suit.

If you want to decorate the home or office, look no further than the underground shopping mall at Express Bus Terminal. The hallways go on until they form a small point somewhere on the suggested underground horizon, and right now, a sizable chunk of the place has been turned into Christmas land: trees, lights, garland and more trees. It's all a little overwhelming. This photo suggests about 5% of the other Christmas decoration stores that continue all the way down the hallway about another 150 meters.

It's madness, I tell you! But, it's also a part of my Seoul Christmas experience: glitz, garland, and all things gauche.



No comments: